Monday, July 21, 2008

How Do I Get My Signs Seen?

When I drive down the country lane near my home, I can’t help but notice that more and more bootleg directional signs are beginning to take the place of the usual expanses of green pastures, cedar fences and newly mowed fields. Perhaps, like most people in growing suburban areas, I am struck by the sense that the authors of these sign campaigns are desperate to capture, lure and shout their way into my subconscious. I’m not listening but they’re sure telling. I am, after this short drive, overwhelmed by their monologue of desperation that screams, “look at us!” I’m always hoping to see if any of the messages offer something that’s about me. I think I’m going to be driving for a long time.

Remember the line in the Pixar Movie, The Incredibles “When everyone is super then no one is.” It kinda of makes you stop and realize that one good idea, copied a million times is suddenly a bad idea. If you can’t be different you can’t be noticed. Saying it by adding more and more signs each week is not a solution, it’s just more signs.

Here’s a new idea. Think about the whole process of finding a community, then find the solution to the problem that everyone ignores. Let’s say you couldn't use a sign at all. All you could use is your website. The thought process you might employ would certainly include a plan for success, based on the “brand” you wanted to be known for. Say, “The builder who doesn’t clutter the landscape but still gets everyone to their sites with efficiency”.

At C and Company we have helped countless companies use their websites, and their inventiveness to this advantage, helping establish systems and processes that give them a heightened awareness in the marketplace. In this scenario, helping a customer locate and easily drive to a new community without signs, as well offering a more friendly experience from happy, motivated staff implementing a unique initiative is news that travels fast. We can help you discover new solutions to replace what used be a “super” idea and just isn't working any more.

Bold, yes. Get rid of signs? Innovative thought. More than 90% of prospective home buyers visit a website before venturing out in their cars. We challenge you to look for innovative, brand based answers and start creating a new kind of brand buzz!


(c) 2008 Signs, Buzz and Building your Brand
Camine Pappas
C and Company

No comments: